LEARNING DOESNT STOP - Ghar Pe Seekho Sikhao
In the times of COVID when schools have been shut down, we have started initiatives to engage parents and the local community so that learning continues at home. Ghar Pe Seekho Sikao has been designed to allow primary grade children to learn new things focusing on practical applications, and to engage Anganwadi-going using theme-based learning in the absence of their regular Anganwadi Centers(AWCs).
The program focuses on integrating academic subjects with rich local knowledge, resources, and contexts, simplifying the teaching process for parents. Through this program, we have learned that parents are capable of facilitating and engaging their children in meaningful conversations and learning activities, if given sufficient support and resources. The parents who have been stuck at home due to the AWCs closing are struggling to find ways to engage and educate their children. These parents have been the major beneficiaries of the Anganwadi focused program.
- Online Implementation - Used Whatsapp and SMS as modes of distribution to send worksheets, audio files, links to stories, and Youtube videos
- Offline Implementation - Local community structures were leveraged to distribute worksheets and learning materials and to engage parents in the learning process
- 10000+ children engaged in Uttar Pradesh and Jharkhand through the 'Ghar Par Seekho Sikhao' plan
- Parents of 500+ young children in the age group of 3-6 years have been engaged in Karnataka. Regular consultations with more than 550 mothers through WhatsApp groups and telephone calls have ensured their children’s holistic development
- Engaged with all stakeholders including women in the community belonging to Self-help groups and their representatives - the Education Change Vectors (ECVs), School Mgmt. Committees(SMC), Village Organizations(VO), parents, Anganwadi teachers, and primary school teachers
- More than 50% of the children have started sharing their worksheet and activity progress on a regular basis
- Mohalla (area) classes have been initiated in Jharkhand which are managed by the youth to help the children in their studies
We use two different techniques to deliver this remote learning program:
Concept-based worksheets focussed on:
- Subject-based learning of Math and Language skills
- Understanding of concepts integrated with Life-skills leading to awareness of Self/Community/World, Health & Nutrition, etc
- Themes and concepts are identified for the weekly plans that are sent to the children
- Content is sent in three groups - one plan for pre-primary, another for Std 1-2 children and another set for Std 3-5 children
- Clear identification of the learning outcomes, skills and the application of it in every worksheet
Now that the program is being delivered across our locations with reasonable success, we are working on creating learning modules using these worksheets to create a supplementary learning methodology even in a post-COVID world where we can continue the engagement with the school and the community/ stakeholders at home to create a more productive ecosystem for the children to thrive in.
You can download the sample worksheets below to understand the learning methodologies we use with our children as part of our remote learning program.
|Worksheet 1 for Grades 1-5||Worksheet 2 for Grades 1-5||ECCE Worksheet for children|